ANNNND, now it’s almost Christmas. How the heck did that happen!? I know the theme of my last few posts have been “WHOA, whoa, whoa! Where did the time go!?!” But that’s really how I feel! It’s been a good year and I’m trying to relax and enjoy my holiday travels but I can’t help but feel a little flustered.
I just arrived to my hometown of Jacksonville, North Carolina after visiting friends in Philadelphia and Raleigh. It’s been a great trip so far and I feel grateful to be able to spend this time with friends and family. At this point I realize I’m not going to get much done for the rest of month, so I’m trying to plan for next year. In the new year, I’m hoping to manage my time more carefully, so I can accomplish more and not feel like time is my enemy. I’m even going to try this new thing, where I wake up early.
Anyways, I know I’m not the only one who finds the end of the year stressful. For those of you who need some serious comfort food, try this chicken pot pie recipe. It’s warm, flavorful, and really hits the spot on a chilly night.
I hope everyone who is traveling has a safe and lovely trip. To all my fellow end-of-year stress puppies, hang in there and have some pie.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup warm water
- Mix together the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Pour in the olive oil and mix until moistened.
- Stir in the warm water.
- Knead the dough until it’s soft and elastic but not sticky.
- Divide the dough into two portions, one for the top crust and one for the bottom. The portion for the bottom crust should be slightly larger.
- Set the dough aside while you prepare the filling.
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup french green beans, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, green beans, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
Assembling the Pie:
- Select a pie dish about 2 inches deep and 10 inches wide.
- On a floured surface, roll out the the larger portion of the dough. Place it into the bottom of the dish and shape it so it comes up and over the sides of the dish.
- Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over.
- Roll out the second portion of dough and place it over the filling, so that it meets the edge of the dish. Shape and trim the dough as needed.
- Pinch the edges of the dough together to seal.
- Puncture the center of the dough with an one inch X
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.